Connector considerations

From DIY contraptions to sophisticated FreeEMS-specific designs! Plus general hardware development!
slacker.cam
QFP80 - Contributor

Re: Connector considerations

Post by slacker.cam »

I dont think that we will need to buy that many AMP connectors if we do plan to do a group buy at some point. As I understand it (my collegue is currently dealing with AMP here in NZ) their standard minimum order quantity is simply how many they can fit inside their standard box - quite a simple way to do business huh :) . At work we are looking to use their AMPseal range which is slightly larger than what we want but to give an idea they can fit 200-300 in a box.

I think that doing a group buy of these is not going to be very feasible in the short term, especially if we need 100 people to go in to make it possible. These connectors will be best left for later on when we start looking at a kit form/standard hardware setup.

Fred doesnt want two seperate enclosures for the ECU, he just wants to keep signal and power seperate inside the box. He wants to put a connector on each end, one for high current and one for low current... I personally totally dislike this idea as it makes the footprint of the final unit much larger than it needs to be and makes it hard to package into tight places like where OEM ECUs tend to live. I suggest that we engineer our way out of potential noise problems with a good board design, decent filtering on the noise sensitive inputs, no ignition drivers inside the enclosure, etc. If we do have noise problems then we can go to the extreme of having multiple connectors later - 'if it aint broke then dont fix it', right?
GartnerProspect
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by GartnerProspect »

I like the idea of an isolated high current/low current concept. But that's much harder to do on a 2-layer board vs. 4 layer, IMO. My current layout calls for placing the connector on the LONG side of the board vs. short side. This makes it easier to avoid long traces of either low or high current and gives you more assesable board space.

Initially it called for two 23 pin AMPseal, splitting high and low. That's overkill though I reckon. I also don't have any on-board ignition drivers. So many coils are availible with integrated ignitors and the OEM externals have proven significantly more reliable than the VB921 in my experience. The lack of ignition driver noise inside the case is just a nice bonus!

But I haven't found much besides top-loaded enclosures that would work with a 4x6ish board with a side connector vs. end. I suppose I should look at extruded enclosures for 6x8 or 6x10 boards and cut them down? I needed a band saw anyway :mrgreen:
AbeFM
Post Whore!

Post by AbeFM »

I can't say enough good things about my COP set up..... +5V all the way to the bank.
GartnerProspect

8InchesFlacid wrote:I can't say enough good things about my COP set up..... +5V all the way to the bank.
That's the only way to roll!
jbelanger
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by jbelanger »

BradWeingartner wrote:But I haven't found much besides top-loaded enclosures that would work with a 4x6ish board with a side connector vs. end. I suppose I should look at extruded enclosures for 6x8 or 6x10 boards and cut them down? I needed a band saw anyway :mrgreen:
You could look at this http://www.xtech-outside.com/products/enclosures.html. You can have a 6" wide enclosure and have the length you want. You need to order a certain quantity for custom lengths but that may be a better option than using your band saw.

Jean
AbeFM
Post Whore!

Post by AbeFM »

Ha! I used to sell the black-and-white camera on the front of their page. Not bad, for a budget option. :-)

I have a feeling it's good to keep this all in mind, but until two revisions of the board have come through the pipe, it'll be hard to pick a case. At least till we've settled on some components.
-Abe.
GartnerProspect

I agree completely.

I'm looking for a cheap off the shelf enclosure, even better if it's something I can pick up locally at fry's or otherwise.

Eventually though the extruded bling bling is the goal.
AbeFM
Post Whore!

Post by AbeFM »

Ah, I found a great extruded case, with endplates, and room for 37 pins of IO, a 9 pin connector on the backside, and 3 single feedthroughs for a shielded coax style connector, for $34, with fantastic availablity and a nice hard anodize.

ababkin

Post by ababkin »

8InchesFlacid wrote:Ah, I found a great extruded case, with endplates, and room for 37 pins of IO, a 9 pin connector on the backside, and 3 single feedthroughs for a shielded coax style connector, for $34, with fantastic availablity and a nice hard anodize.

you funny guy

actually the first prototype may very well use this case AND the board that normally goes into this enclosure
Legal disclaimer for all my posts: I'm not responsible for anything, you are responsible for everything. This is an open and free world with no strings attached.
GartnerProspect

lol. Yeah, funny guy alright. :lol:

I have plenty of those cases laying around but it doesn't help me when I want to put the connector on the side, not the end! :shock: