Injector Control Options

From DIY contraptions to sophisticated FreeEMS-specific designs! Plus general hardware development!
jbelanger
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: Injector Control Options

Post by jbelanger »

Fred wrote:I really can't decide. We do need a clean solution, but we don't want a huge cost to all users for a feature that only a fraction will need. I'm still leaning towards no native P&H support. Jean already sells a good solution for this. If he just adds a 6 cylinder variant to his range I think it will be a very elegant solution to all those that need it and it keeps the power supply clean as you have discovered really is an issue.

Fred.
Having a 6 cylinder board done will just require having an idea of where this board will fit: inside the FreeEMS case or outside and what the control signal will be: a 5V positive pulse or a grounding pulse. I already have the 4 driver internal solution for the MS case which takes a 5V pulse and I have two external solutions (4-driver board and 8-driver board) which fit in their own case (with their own power supply) and take a grounding signal as input.

Any of these can be adapted to fulfill the needs here if/when needed.

Jean
Fred

Post by Fred »

I agree with that actually, I'll find it semi difficult/expensive to get lm1949 if I need them.
jbelanger wrote:Any of these can be adapted to fulfill the needs here if/when needed.
Have you got a photo of your 8 driver board? It could be used with only 6 populated provided it isn't excessively big and save on manufacturing of a third board. If you have a picture and wouldn't mind, please post it up :-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
jbelanger

Post by jbelanger »

Here you go:

Partially assembled board without the TO-220 devices:

And the fully assembled box:

This is the inside of the box (not very clear):

This is 5"x3"x1.85" case with an L-shaped 1/8" thick aluminium bar thermally connecting the TO-220 devices to the case. The connector is a 23-pin Ampseal connector. This is basically twice my original 4-driver board plus inverting transistors and a power supply. This can be partially populated and the inverting transistors could be omitted and jumpered if the input signal is a 5V positive pulse.

Jean
Delta
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by Delta »

Fred wrote:I really can't decide. We do need a clean solution, but we don't want a huge cost to all users for a feature that only a fraction will need. I'm still leaning towards no native P&H support. Jean already sells a good solution for this. If he just adds a 6 cylinder variant to his range I think it will be a very elegant solution to all those that need it and it keeps the power supply clean as you have discovered really is an issue.

Fred.
Only a fraction?? Most people who go after market ecu are installing one because the standard ecu no longer allows you to do what you want. Stock ecu's are generally deisgned for high Z injectors and a limited set of sensors. Flash tuning (which is now very very common) allows you to modify within the limits of the ecu hardware/sensors....so generally the reason for changing is to support different sensors (perhaps for boost/massive NA mods) and different injector types. If you limit yourself to saturation onboard then you are basically not offering a solution that keeps up with 99% of aftermarket gear. While I understand this is an open source effort and hence does not HAVE to be up to the standard of a commercial product - removing a key feature to an external board or leaving it out entirely sounds very MSish. I'd like to think this project would take a stand at some point and say - were going to compete with Motec not MS. For the first design it doesn't matter what we do - just get it working and keep it cheap - drive an autofet directly without snubber or anything, it'll work. Later on we can start adding things like my injector driver, onboard IGBT ignition, boost control, closed loop idle etc etc. But I think the second revision definitely SHOULD contain all possible features inside one case - even if they are plug in boards internally.

BTW - If I'm testing anything it will be going on the car in my avatar - currently it runs an EMS8860 and I have low Z injectors - Siemens Deka 72lb/h to be exact, so I'll need peak and hold as they are 2.8ohms.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Delta wrote:Only a fraction??
Yeah, only a fraction, how many cars that run standalones percentage wise do you think make more than 100hp per cylinder? That is easily supported by high Z injectors.
Most people who go after market ecu are installing one because the standard ecu no longer allows you to do what you want. Stock ecu's are generally deisgned for high Z injectors and a limited set of sensors.
And all the IO is used up and the ignition style is fixed and and and. I'd typically change to add boost and use non dizzy ignition. Or, even to ditch carbs!
Flash tuning (which is now very very common For Common Popular Platforms) allows you to modify within the limits of the ecu hardware/sensors....so generally the reason for changing is to support different sensors (perhaps for boost/massive NA mods) and different injector types.
Typically in the low budget DIY arena people use larger injectors off of other OEM applications. As you said, most are high Z. I don't want to ask, but probably Jean could shed some light on estimated percentages of MS users that need it.
If you limit yourself to saturation onboard then you are basically not offering a solution that keeps up with 99% of aftermarket gear. While I understand this is an open source effort and hence does not HAVE to be up to the standard of a commercial product - removing a key feature to an external board or leaving it out entirely sounds very MSish.
Key to who? You, Abe, and others, sure, but not to all potential users. Including it has its drawbacks. They can't be ignored, and if included they need to be handled very carefully. Even if we decide no low Z on board we aren't saying no low Z, we are just saying no low Z on board. Experience shows us that this does not deter many users. After all installing a second box with cylCount x2 +2 connections or so isn't exactly a big ask. Heaps of people use horrible resistor boxs with similar extra effort required.
Later on we can start adding things like my injector driver, onboard IGBT ignition, boost control, closed loop idle etc etc. But I think the second revision definitely SHOULD contain all possible features inside one case - even if they are plug in boards internally.
Having said all that, I'm all for it IF we can do it in a NICE way overall. Perhaps put your circuit on there and just suggest a good case IF using low Z. That simplifies it and supports it. BUT, we need to check out the RF side of it in detail IRL before committing to that. Putting a massive noise source in the case like that MUST be done with great care.
BTW - If I'm testing anything it will be going on the car in my avatar - currently it runs an EMS8860 and I have low Z injectors - Siemens Deka 72lb/h to be exact, so I'll need peak and hold as they are 2.8ohms.
Speaking of the car in your avatar, care to put up a thread about it in user rides? Looks cool :-)

Also, looks like an old school 6 pot, did it have an ECU at all stock? I think not = one of the biggest reasons to go aftermarket. IE, old engine or blank slate setup.

Thread discussing FreeEMS and how it will measure up to other stuff once functional and fairly complete (to keep this one on topic) :

http://www.diyefi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=385

Fred.
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

jbelanger wrote:Here you go:
Hump hump.

I think that should settle it, why redesign it, when jbelanger already has it. I haven't looked at a schematic, but I'm willing to guess that board will allow freeEMS's highZ ouputs and make them lowZ.

Nice work, looks pretty as well.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Jean, what is the cost of this as a ready to go kit and/or a bare board with/without connector/case etc. What options do you offer and what is the pricing like?

Loving the angle shot, it is a nice piece of work :-)

Fred.
jbelanger

Post by jbelanger »

jharvey wrote:I haven't looked at a schematic, but I'm willing to guess that board will allow freeEMS's highZ ouputs and make them lowZ.
Yes it does.
jbelanger

Post by jbelanger »

Fred wrote:Jean, what is the cost of this as a ready to go kit and/or a bare board with/without connector/case etc. What options do you offer and what is the pricing like?
At the moment I only have bare boards at $30 per board. The BOM is available here. And the templates for drilling the case top, heat sink bar, and endplate for the connector is available here

I may offer partial or complete kits at some point but I need to have some volume for this to make sense and that's a rather big investment. Since it will work with the MS sequencer and MS3 there may be some demand at some point but I have no idea when.

By the way, the BOM gives Digikey references but should give enough information on most parts to get replacements without going through the Digikey site. And the connector can be had much cheaper at different places but may not make sense due to the additional shipping cost. It can also be replaced by an external connector with wires soldered to the board.

Jean
Fred

Post by Fred »

jbelanger wrote:By the way, the BOM gives Digikey references but should give enough information on most parts to get replacements without going through the Digikey site.
As usual you are a legend :-)

I need to get a "bowing"/"worshiping" smiley for the "view more smilies" section!

EDIT : Image

I need to find another or fix that one as it's not using an alpha channel...

Fred.